Thursday, August 20, 2009

In the good old summer time.....

It was our Sunday drive back in the late forties...from Oakland, California. Mother, dad, my sister (Rachel) and I would hop in the 1940 something car we had and head toward Walnut Creek (which back then and a ways into the "50's" was a two, yes two lane road)! Now it is a ten lane freeway....

Anyway when we hit the town of Walnut Creek my dad seemed to know right where to go. Of all places it was the Grey Hound Bus Depot! I can still remember after all these years (I think I was about six years old), how the place looked and the ice cream...oh my! It was worth the drive let me tell you! I can still taste the creaminess. At that time my favorite was the lemon custard...

Now why would we travel thirty miles for ice cream? Well is was a two fold thing. We could get the ice cream and then drive around the area where my dad was building some nice homes where families can grow and start great neighborhoods... incidentally, I think it was the later part of 1951 or 2, we bought one of those houses to live in so dad didn't have to commute so far....(from that time on we always lived in or pretty darn close to the area where dad was building so we could somtimes go and have a picnic dinner with him while he was laying out a house). The cost of that little house was around $13,500.00, 3 bed one bath, living room, dinning room, nice kitchen, and about a one and a half car garage where the laundry area was as well. A good size yard too. That same house about five years ago sold for almost $500,000.00. Crazy!

More ice cream stories later....yum

3 comments:

  1. What fun to have picnics with your Dad in the houses he was building. Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you're a regular blogger. You should come to our personal history meetings, Tuesday's at 1:00. You could bring stories like this.

    Mmm. Lemon Custard. I'm in.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead a say a few words..